Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Marked for Devotion


Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon my arm. For love is as strong as death and jealousy as cruel as the grave. Song of Songs 8:6
There is an ancient Irish hymn called Be thou my vision translated by Mary Byrne. Within the lyrics of the hymn, there lies a beautiful line of trust.
“Beloved Father, hear my lamentations.
Timely is the cry of woe of this miserable wretch.
O Heart of my heart, whatever befall me,
O ruler of all, be thou my vision.”
I believe that the person who penned this hymn thought of Psalm 73:25. Who else do we have on our side but God and what value is this life if not to come to the end of it knowing Christ was our only desire. All material things are dust and all other hope is vain when we come to the end of our lives and find ourselves alone.
Apostle Paul wrote that “I consider everything a loss when compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.” (Philippians 3:8) Our focus on God must be a single hearted devotion unswayed by inheritance, man or situation. God is the only way to find security. It is within His borders that I have found my rest and it is within His presence that I have found the treasure of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment